An important educational funding renewal will appear on the November 3 election ballot.
The Wayne County Educational Enhancement Millage is a 2-mill renewal request that would continue to generate approximately $1 million per year, for six years, for Southgate Community School District. The request would allow us to continue to enhance its educational offerings for its 3,000 students.
Why the request?
Under Proposal A, local school districts cannot seek additional funding for operations, through a local millage. However, the state does allow Intermediate School Districts (ISDs) to place enhancement millage requests on the ballot. In Wayne County, the requesting body is the Wayne County Regional Educational Services Agency, known as Wayne RESA.
If approved, all districts in the county would continue to receive essential funding at the rate of approximately $300 per student, for education in the high priority areas identified by each school district.
The high priority areas include: hiring and retaining high quality staff; preserving and enhancing programs for students; lowering class sizes; supporting struggling learners who have added needs; and ensuring financial stability for the district.
The monies raised by the millage would continue to be subject to independent financial audits, in order to provide additional transparency for taxpayers.
This millage has been truly impactful on our district! The following list of supports are just some examples of what SCSD has been able to implement with the enhancement millage since its first passage in November 2016:
• Purchase of Chromebooks
•Curriculum materials for all grade levels
• Maintenance and facilities upgrades
• The elimination of “pay to play”
• Transportation for band, Quiz Bowl, robotics, Big/Little Brothers and Big/Little Sisters
• Improvements to the SAHS auditorium
• Helped build our fund balance up over 10 percent
• November 3 ballot (Wayne RESA Education Enhancement Millage)
• 2-mill renewal – no increase or new money
• Six-year duration
• About $8 per month for owner of $100K home
• Maintains financial stability
• For all Wayne County districts, on per-pupil basis
• Independently audited